Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Paleo on 100 Dollars a Month - Drinks, odds and ends

When you get to a certain age, people quit giving you toys for Christmas and birthday.  You start to get more soaps and bath salts (the kind that actually goes in the bath..) but if they don't know you that well, you get tea.  I tend to get tea from co-workers, probably because they see me drinking tea more than they see me bathing.

It is pretty easy to get free tea, especially green tea, because it is something we are supposed to like but for most people it is awful.  I happen to love green tea but I will miss my favorite decaf variety during this challenge.  Some of my tea is actually from my husband because I asked for it.

Now that I am paleo, the next time he asks me what I want for our anniversary or something, I'll tell him I want a side of beef wrapped up in a fancy box (like a freezer).

I thought I was going to have to go without green tea altogether.  I tried a bulk brand, but it turned out to be extremely expensive.  Then I remembered that I had received a tin of green tea blossoms.  I don't use them often because they are so large, but for this challenge, I decided to go ahead and take them apart so I could have a bit of real green tea each day.  They were quite a pain to pull apart, but I am sure it will be worth it.

While rearranging all the tea in my cabinet, I discovered a whole container of protein drink mix given to me by a trading partner several years ago.  It has soy and whey in it.  Will it kill me?  Stay tuned!  Protein powder is also easy to get for free, especially if you make friends with vegans.  They try all sorts of brands, and either it tastes awful, or it is made in some sort of unsustainable way or it isn't raw.  You just might see some of this stuff on the challenge.  Yes, it probably will kill me.

Per Dr. Rosedale, I need around 50-ish grams of protein a day minimum, so that is what I am going to shoot for.  I hope I can do this without resorting to eating backyard snails.  Not sure I am up to that challenge yet, but I have been reading all about it.  I have been diligent about capturing snails this year, and I doubt I would have enough mature snails to make a meal anyway.  Right now, I am thinking soy and raw pea protein sounds more appetizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment