Thursday, September 6, 2012

How I get into fat-burning mode

I promised to get back to y'all about what I have learned about getting into fat-burning mode.

First, just want to remind newer readers who haven't read all the history, I lost most of my weight on a lower carb diet, and did not get to the 20-30 carb gram level until much later in the process.  But eventually, even while on LC plans like Protein Power, I found I couldn't lose weight, maintain my weight or even contain cravings.

It wasn't really carb creep in my case.  Well it was sort of.  What it was was that I just couldn't quit eating, just like how I was before I started losing weight, only this time, I was eating protein and fat all day instead of grilled cheese sandwiches.

What was going on?  Well, I read that after a while, people on LC get used to it and are able to extract more glucose out of whatever very efficiently.  It was probably the case that I went out of fat-burning mode, stayed out, and didn't even realize it, because, "well, I'm on a low carb diet, aren't I?"

Just two or three carby meals in sequence would knock me out of whack for weeks or even months.  I tried to get back on the plan, but just couldn't.  Eventually I went on the VLC Rosedale plan, but after a couple days of hell, I realized how much different I felt.  How could I have been on a LC diet for most of the time and probably not be in ketosis all that time?

Diving into that state was very difficult, resulting in a night of anxiety and agitation.  No wonder I wanted to eat food to calm it down.  Eventually I knew what to expect, and so would white-knuckle my way back in.  Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night with dread, my heart beating.  Not too fun, but I already knew it was coming, so learned to handle it.

Last year I took advantage of Dr. Eades offer for free Metabosol.  While I didn't lose much weight for the week I used it, it did curb food cravings enough to get me back on track.  I eventually abandoned Metabosol to start the leptin reset.  I gave one free container to my sister, who was also having trouble with carb cravings.  The other container I guarded with my life, because at the time, Metabosol wasn't available.  I used it to get back into whack.  I had to only drink about two or three servings, and then I would enter this nice state where I was no longer hungry.  For some reason, taking Metabosol also made me relaxed and sleepy enough for a great night's sleep. (Something I never had whenever I tried Rosedale.)

Eventually I tried CT, and found that it worked much the same way.  I started CT'ing every time I ate a carby meal, kind of like the exercise recommendation recommended by Rosedale, only I didn't have to worry about over-exercising and  the accompanying exhaustion.  CT was just wonderful.  I would start hungry, but end up relaxed, pain-free and no longer hungry, and all that was topped off with the most wonderful night of sleep ever.

Now I use both the Metabosol and CT to get back on track, and find that while they both help all by themselves, if I am having a particularly tough time (like after a holiday!!!), I'll do both.

Another interesting thing that I have noticed about CT is that ever since I have been doing it, I never get cold when I restart a low carb diet.  I used to always get cold, and though not as bad as when I did calorie restriction diets in the past.

In the future, I'll do posts on several of my n=1 experiments with different diets.  It is not really a set of fair comparisons, because I confound everything with my life, the seasons, advancing age and my continual improvement.

6 comments:

  1. does the container say what's in the Metabosol? i'm curious....

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.proteinpower.com/product.php?pid=57

    I found it here.

    I have found out a few things these last couple days of doing high fat, moderate protein and low carb...I feel I eat way to darn much.
    After a meal I have an energy zap and actually feel completely washed out.
    But I am chalking it up to doing what I have to do, to get burning fat. It has only been a couple of days.
    I am never cold, always hot. Sleep sucks as well.
    I started c/t again this morning. Hoping for some help from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My container of Metabosol says a serving contains 1 mg riboflavin, 600 mcg biotin, 400 mcg chromium polynicotinate, 4515 mg of "proprietary blend of L-aspartic acid, garcinia fruit extract, L-carnitine and L-tartarate. It also has guar gum, natural flavor, maltodextrin, xanthin gum, stevia.
    It tastes pretty good, but I don't think all the gums agree with me after awhile. I wish they would do this in capsule form. It was also too sweet for me. Since I am mostly low carb, even the tiniest bit of sweetness seems overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, I have found that CT works better for sleep in the afternoon or evening. And, I don't do anything too hardcore. Just tap water, sometimes with a bit of ice or ice water. I keep a few jugs of ice water in the fridge, 3 gallons I think. Specific instructions are on Dr. Kruse's site.
    I addition, since I don't have to hassle with running the tap to get the hot water, or struggling with my own warmth, I am much more likely to take a second cold shower in the evening. Nothing big, just to wash off the dust, but even for this short time, the cold shower is very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I'm developing a new guided self-experiment journal and would like to know more about your successes with n=1 experiments. Do you still actively perform self-experiments? I'm keen to know how you plan, record and analyse them.
    Drop me an email at brett@optimalselfhealth.com if you'd like to talk more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been trying to figure out what CT is and I’m lost. Could you enlighten me please?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete