Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Serendipity

Yesterday, I ranted to myself for my memory lapse.  While out doing some errands, I discovered that I had forgotten my purse, so I didn't stop by my favorite food store on the way home.

After enjoying a nice cup of winter squash soup for lunch and attending to other life details, I ventured out again, much later than usual.  Oh, I hate using up more gasoline, but it was just too hot and miserable to walk, and I was still on a 24-hour exercise restriction after the blood donation.

Just as I wheeled up to the meat counter, they were putting out the quick sale items.  I got a couple of packages of salmon for $1.99 a pound and a buffalo "london broil" for $3.99 a pound.  Score!  The price of the steak was half what I usually pay for ground buffalo.

I am still venturing into the land of the meat-eaters, and had never cooked london broil before, and never eaten a buffalo steak.  Good thing for the internet.  My internet search made the process even more confusing, and I had no clue as to the actual cut of the meat.  I decided to just throw some salt and seasonings on it (cumin, cinnamon, garlic, my own very hot pepper), let it sit on the counter for half an hour, and then fry it in a pan with coconut oil. NOT a french recipe, then again, buffalo meat doesn't come from France, so there.  I grilled some San Marzano tomatoes.  (I cooked some additional San Marzanos in the pan drippings, for some soup for a later time.)

OK, now I get what the fuss is all about.  The rare steak was delicious!  I can't believe that I am here, eating bloody meat with a few vegetables, and loving it.  I imagine myself as Suzanne Pleshette, gliding through my modern kitchen appointed with a set of chrome-finished appliances in avocado and harvest gold, waiting for Bob Newhart to return home from the clinic, serving just steak and salad.  Then I glide along to change from my apron to my caftan, and we are ready for the evening.


6 comments:

  1. You make me smile...it has to be the meat that makes you want to float around..too too funny!
    Thanks for brightening my day...again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, dear readers, you make me smile too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to your not knowing how to cook different meats. I spent a large portion of my adult life believing in vegetarianism, never learned to cook meat. I bought some pork tenderloin last week, did a search on the Internet, decided on a simple crockpot-like method (I no longer own a crock-pot; I cook in the oven at very low temperature as a substitute). When it was cooked, I shredded it with forks, pulled-pork-style and then realized I could have used a cheaper, fatter cut to prepare that dish & it would have been more flavourful because of the fat. LOL Live and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I just bought a pork shoulder, but it took me just about forever to realize that carnitas is made of the same stuff I grew up with: pork steaks. DH didn't eat red meat, and had pretty much a fat phobia (in order to be healthy!), so I mostly cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually get rid of fat by consuming Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete