Saturday, March 12, 2011

Am I that boring?

I've been reading that some diet "experts" have been saying that a low-carb diet is so boring. It certainly has been a challenge. 
Last night was so dreadful, my husband jumped away from the table after dinner and quickly did something else. (In other words, he wasn't sleepy from too many carbs.) 
We enjoyed fresh haddock fillets with sauted onion, carrot, fennel, thyme, celery, parsley, lemon and anaheim pepper. I served it with a fresh tartar sauce, home-made cole-slaw and some strawberries with whipped cream. All the fruits/veggies were from the garden except for the onion and the strawberries. 
For lunch, we suffered through a vegetable stir-fry with curry powder, garam masala and my own intensly-hot red caribbean pepper sauce. I put a bit of chicken in it, with some basmati rice steamed with vegetable broth and turmeric. (OK, I had a tablespoon of the rice, too!) 
I didn't know how I would be able to get through another day, but since the goal of preparing healthy and satisfying meals is on my action-list, I struggled through breakfast. 
This morning I had a small amount of coffee with a splash of cinnamon and real cream. I made eggs again, with butter, kale and fresh marjoram. At the market yesterday, all the bulk items were on sale so I decided to try some coconut flour. My first trial was to make pancakes. I used an egg, 1/4 cup coconut flour, 1/4 cup ground almonds, 1/4 cup cream, 1/2 cup water and 1/4 t baking powder. The recipe needs some tinkering, but my husband declared the pancakes edible and came into the kitchen for more. He put blackberry jam on his, and I topped mine with sliced strawberries. Boring, I know. We had strawberries for dinner, and I might be stuck with eating them for lunch, too. 
Someone pluck me out of my misery! My diet is boring and none of my clothes fit this week. 

[Note:  a version of this was posted on Feb 26, 2011 on another site.]

No comments:

Post a Comment