Tuesday, January 15, 2013

In case I forget

Five years ago today I was at my highest weight, and after finally finding myself sick enough of it and having enough time, I started on a weight loss plan.

First, I got up for Denise Austin's TV show.  I know, people really make fun of her, but for several years I had been in school and working seven days a week in front of a computer and wasn't even doing basic exercising.  The last straw was when I found it was even difficult to turn over in bed.  How did it get so bad when I wasn't looking?

I started walking and following a low fat diet like they recommend.  This was very difficult, and it took me quite a bit of time to lose even 10 pounds and keep it off for more than a few weeks.  I struggled for two more years, stopping when I became unmotivated and then restarting, usually at a higher weight than before.

Twenty eight months ago I started a lower carb diet, and then lost the rest of my weight.  I haven't maintained all of the loss, but I did lose and keep off over 18% of my body weight.  (I also lost my long-term vegetarian lifestyle.  How eat-crow-ish that was.)

This week I have been pouring over the Diabetes Prevention Program and other studies, and have seen first-hand in the data how difficult it is for people to lose weight and keep it off.  It is easy to get discouraged.

But, then I look back at some of my older records of weight, and realize that I am already in the tails of the distribution of weight loss outcomes.  For that, I am pleased.

Oh and P.S. Coca-Cola.  Some calories are more equal than others.  Just sayin'

No comments:

Post a Comment