Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Aluminum Standard

This recently-released paper has been "chewed on" at a number of places this week.  Here's the funniest report I have seen so far:
http://ramblingsofacarnivore.blogspot.com/2011/06/unnecessary-starvation-cures-diabetes.html
So glad I had that lecture last week about how science works.  Reminded me that I needed to do a post like this.  People have been crying out for gold-standard randomized placebo-controlled double-blind clinical studies.  This study is the aluminum standard, I guess..  It's not a randomized placebo-controlled double-blind study, and the sample size is too small for it to ever be included in one of those fancy evidence-based libraries that I don't have a card to.
I don't know how IT got through.  The control group isn't really a control, even though that is what they called it.  They are using it as more of a baseline standard.  That double-blind thing is mainly nonsense.  People usually know what they are eating.  I think these folks figured out they were hungry.
Just sayin' this study isn't randomized.  Can you point out the Where's Waldo?
Time's up:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randomized_controlled_trial

No comments:

Post a Comment