Warning: This post is smack dab in the middle of Snarksville, so if you don't want to be caught in that bad neighborhood, better to take the next train out while there is still some daylight.
Well, the Ancestral Health Symposium was really fun, but the weeks beyond, the aftermath of the Taubes/Guyenet smackdown, has been painful, or pitiful, depending on how you look at it.
Lots of the hoopla happened over on Guyenet's blog, which has since been scrubbed considerably and on several levels. Some of the discussion has been moved over to Hyperlipid. ("Use your quiet indoor voice, or I'll have to send you all outside!") I had a few of Guyenet's minions really go after me on another board, and I don't even really post that much. So yea, I would have to agree with some others that people need to do more reading, or at least get a life.
Guyenet seems like a nice guy in person, but after his post against Taubes, I'll have to say he has a bit of a passive-aggressive streak going there. Good thing he edited, I guess. Here are the clif notes of the controversy.
Guyenet on his blog:
1. Hi, I'm Dr. Guyenet, and I have a PhD
2. I am interested in obesity, and I have thought about this alot.
3. I have REALLY thought about this for a long time, and it makes lots of sense, so I am sure I am right.
4. Fat people are fat because they eat too much
5. Fat people eat too much because they like tasty food
6. Like I said, I know I am right, because even though I haven't actually ever really talked to or listened to fat people, or ever been fat myself, I have a PhD, and I have looked at lots of rat studies and listened to alot of rats.
7. Rats like chocolate, and so do fat people.
8. If fat people quit eating packaged food and chocolate and quit putting seasonings on it, they would be thin like me and my thin paleo peeps.
Inthewoo2 and others on Guyenet's blog:
9. Guyenet, you ignorant slut!
Guyenet's peeps on Guyenet's blog:
10. Inthewoo2 and others, you are just 2-bit tarts and bargain basement sluts!
11. We have PhD's from fine universities and you don't
12. Since we have PhD's like Guyenet, we have also thought about this alot and we know he is right.
13. He da man! you are wrong.
14. You are just a fat person with no PhD.
15. If you say he's wrong, that just proves how much you misunderstand these lofty PhD-type concepts.
16. Now run along before somebody drops a house on you
Taubes at the AHS11 meeting to Guyenet:
17. Guyenet, you ignorant slut!
18. Fat people aren't fat because they eat too much!!!
19. You're not a scientist, you're just a farmer.
20. You're a cherry picker
Guyenet's paleotards all over the internet:
21. It's gettin' real in the Whole Health Source parking lot.
22. Taubes, you ignorant slut!
23. Our homie Guyenet has a PhD so he must be right, despite your so-called evidence.
24. We are sick of hearing N=1's from fat people, after all, they lie and cheat on their food logs.
25. From now on, the sum of all the N=1's from fat people equals 0.
26. We hate puffy, old, red-faced, low-carbing, metabolically-deranged fat people who drag our cult down and raise our insurance rates and eat too many omega 6's and then lie about it!
27. Itsthewoo2, you are still an ignorant slut but we are scrolling past all your uninformed posts anyway. Thought we would announce it right here, to you and everyone else anyway.
Itsthewoo2 on Guyenet's blog:
28. It's like insulin resistance around here.
29. If your cells won't listen, then I'll just yell even louder!
30. GUYENET YOU IGNORANT SLUT!!!!!!!!
Guyenet on his blog a few days after AHS11:
31. I've had time to think and reflect
32. Taubes, you are still an ignorant slut.
33. I was being nice before cause I thought you were one of my peeps
Sooooooo......here's MY blog and here's what I have to say about it.
First, I AM a two-bit researcher from a podunk university (OK, a bunch of them, and some of them not so podunk), so lets just get that out of the way early. I don't give a rodent's-behind how many letters people have behind their names. Since I am into data, I really like the N=1's. I like my own N=1. I might not know all the causes of my N=1, and might not be able to tease out all the factors, but that does not make my N=1 any less so.
DATA DATA DATA! I cannot make bricks without clay!
My N=1 beats out anybody's clinical study. My N=1 beats out anybody's ratscapades. N is for Narcissist. Period.
Here's the original video.
(next: part 3, my N=1)